I’m going to keep this one short and very much to the point.
It’s time for a dual ticket.
It is time, I believe, for two Democratic candidates to come together and campaign as a president/Vice-President combination. Those candidates are Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.
Liz and Bernie would need to reach an agreement with Bernie at the top of the ticket, I think, with Elizabeth primed to succeed him. I base this strictly on Bernie’s age.
Yeah, I know campaigning as a pre-set ticket ‘just isn’t done,’ but it’s time to change that. A fully-formed ticket would remove the Bernie vs Liz dilemma going into into primaries. I think that if they came together like this, a Sanders/Warren duo would set up a powerful vision of continuity for America. It would could unite the supporters of each, and the entire progressive movement. I don’t think Trump and his corrupt Republican party could stand against it.
Could it backfire? Possible. But here’s the thing. We have reached the point, in terms of a crumbling environment and insane level of wealth distribution that the only way we can save both the planet and our society is with aggressive, unified action. Any move toward centrism is doomed to be too little, to slow and too late.
My plea for this Thanksgiving. Please don’t have turkey, or ham, or pot roast, or any other meat. Please have a vegan substitute. Yes, I know that “No matter how good it just isn’t quite the same.”
You can save a turkey from dying and suffering along the way. Or a pig, or a cow. Oh, it won’t be saved this time, but others will be save as more people do what I’m asking you to do and the demand for the suffering of those animals diminishes.
I know, too, that a turkey, or cow, or pig, isn’t as cute and cuddly as your dog or cat, and that for those ‘pet’ animals you would do anything to keep them from suffering.
But you see, that turkey, or pig, or cow, has the same ability to fear, to feel pain, to love its offspring, as a dog or a cat. They bleed and scream and feel the terror just as dogs and cats do.
And here’s the thing. If you say you love animals, but you also say you just have to have your turkey and chicken and cow and ham, then you have to face that fact that when you say you love animals, you are lying. You are lying to me, you are lying to whoever reads this and whoever you talk to. Most of all, you’re lying to yourself, so that you will be able to shrug off the guilt of the pain and suffering and terror that YOU cause.
Please. Don’t be a liar.
Take a moment. Close your eyes. Now imagine as vividly as you can, these animals being caged and beaten and then forced down a narrow inescapable chute, pressed together with those in front of and behind them. Imagine the screaming they do and hear, the terror they feel and sense in the others. Smell the overpowering stench of the blood they are approaching. Terrified, Knowing what’s coming, helpless to escape.
Now imagine that’s your dog or cat. If you wouldn’t let that nightmare of terror and suffering death happen to them, then why do you think it’s all right to sponsor it happening to other? Hmm?
I spent my life living that hypocrisy because I was brought up in a fashion that simply didn’t let me think about it. I had this marvelous fantasy that made it okay. In this fantasy, you see, each animal was loved and treated well until the time of death, which came as a complete surprise and with such suddenness that they didn’t suffer. That made it okay to eat all of those hamburgers and roasts and chickens and turkeys. But it’s not at all like that. And in today’s world, you know that. You just have to face it.
What I wouldn’t give to have come to the awareness I finally found decades earlier. How much clearer would be my conscience and how much cleaner would my heart feel, if i had leaned the reality, and the lesson, forty, or fifty, or sixty or seventy years ago.
You have the opportunity, the marvelous chance, to face your reality much sooner than I did mine. But like the other side of the coin, this means you also have to face up to your own guilt, your own role in this awful, immoral, insane suffering meted out so that you can have your meat. You are responsible. You can’t deny it, you can’t avoid it. You cause these animals to suffer untold terror and agony on the way to an ugly, vicious death.
You cannot say you love animals, and respect animals, and still be a part of this. It’s not possible. No excuse makes it permissible. You had the courage to read all of this. Now it’s time for you to make a decision.
Please. Don’t be a liar.
And please, please, please, pass it on. Share. Help someone else find the truth.
Provided free of charge by the
Agency Governing Humanely Horrific Haunted Halloweens
- Don’t go anywhere alone. In fact, don’t go anywhere.
- If you must insist on leaving the safety of your house, go with a large group. The more of you there are, the better the chance be a survivor, not a bloody memory.
- But if you are determined to leave your house by yourself, at least be prepared. Practice screaming. You should also carry the following: a loud whistle or digital screech alarm, a large crucifix, a string of garlic worn around your neck, four cans of pepper spray; a police baton, a taser; a handgun, a shotgun, a machine gun. You might want to consider a hand grenade or two. Rear running shoes, and take time to practice running without falling down. Whatever you do, avoid all old, abandoned buildings, especially asylums, schools, hospitals, prisons, any building more than one story tall, and filling stations. And if you’re even considering going to a graveyard, there’s no point in reading further. Just kneel inside the entrance, stretch your arms out, and yell “Take me!”
- While you’re out there, be alert. Trust no one. If you see a clown, spray it. If it turns out to be some idiot in a clown costume, they should have known better. Stay in the light. Generously spray shadowy areas with the pepper spray. If you are approached by an eighteen-inch tall, sneering doll, anybody wearing a Scream mask, a hockey mask, a Hannibal Lector mask, or a burlap mask and carrying a knife or chain saw, turn and run. Run as fast as you can. And come to think of it, leave all of the guns at home. You’ll just panic and drop all but one of the bullets and then miss with that one shot anyway. Leave the hand grenades too. You’ll shake, drop the pin, drop the grenade, won’t be able to find it in the dark, and then . . .well, just leave them at home.
- Do NOT stand your ground. You have to run. It’s expected. While you’re running, remember this. Do. Not. Trip. You should know, too, running won’t do any good. You’ll run, exhausting yourself. Meanwhile, your pursuers will walk, stumble and fall, stop for a sandwich, take time to sharpen their knife, or chainsaw, pause to take pictures. Oh, you’ll put a mile or two between you, but whenever you stop running, they’ll be there waiting for you. It’s a rule. On second thought, forget the running. Break the rules. Stare right at them, raise your arms to the sky, and yell as loudly as possible, “Look behind you! It’s Elvira!”
- If you’re smart you’ve decided by now to stay home, where it’s comparatively safe. DON’T EVEN DO THAT ALONE. Invite a friend over. Several friends are better. Rule 2 still applies. But there are things you must remember.
- Make sure all of your friends know the deadline for arriving.
- Turn on all the lights in the house. That’s all the lights. This is no time to conserve electricity.
- As soon as the deadline for arriving guests has passed, lock your doors. Front, back, lock them both. From this point forward, do not open those doors for any reason. Ignore knocking. Late arrivals are on their own. If you look through the peep hole and see a friend, don’t be fooled. Halloween monsters wear costumes too, you know. Pay no attention to children chanting “Trick or Treat.” Some ghouls are shape shifters. And now that you think you’re safe in your locked house, remember these rules.
- Don’t have wild sex. Those people are always the first to die.
- Avoid drugs and drinking. Those are the next to go.
- Ignore all outside noises like car crashes, wild running and yelling, sirens, evil chants and screams. Make a special point of ignoring those screams. Their serial killer is their problem.
- A special caution is in order here. Pay no attention to any pounding on your doors or windows accompanied by terrified calls of “Help me! Let me in! Help me please!” Bloody horrified faces clawing at your windows pleading to come in will not be bothersome if you close the drapes and blinds.
- If your friend heads for the kitchen and says he or she will be right back . . . they won’t. Do NOT go looking for them. Wait five minutes, then board up the entrance to the kitchen.
- Do. not. check. out. that. strange. sound. And there will be strange sounds. Where? Everywhere of course. Be particularly careful not to investigate children’s laughing voices that seem to move around.
- Do NOT look under your bed or in your closet, no matter what. Do. Not. Do. It.
- If a bat is bumping against your window, point your crucifix straight at the window, hold onto the string of garlic tied around your neck, and yell three times loudly, “You are NOT invited in!” You say you don’t have a crucifix? Well. May the dumb be with you.
- Don’t answer the phone, no matter how many times it rings, If it’s someone in the family calling for help, they should have picked a better time. Don’t they know you’re trying to survive?
- Ignore all ghostly voices. ESPECIALLY if they are right behind you. This will be easier if you watch the DVD of “It’s a Wonderful Life” with the sound turned up high. Excuse me? You wanted to watch a horror film? On Halloween night? Are you nuts?
- Do NOT look for friends who disappear. Save yourself. When you’re the only left, there’s only one sure-fire, guaranteed way to survive the rest of the night. Dash to your bedroom, put on your Winnie the Pooh jammies, climb into bed, and pull the covers up over your head. That always works.
- You’re welcome. Happy Halloween.
This time around I’m providing a link to an excellent, thoughtful, article debunking one of the GOP’s sly talking points: the sacredness of the Electoral College.
This is definitely a MUST READ. The Washington Monthly accurately and succinctly exposes the lie of the Electoral College serving as a beneficial tool in Presidential elections.
Well-indoctrinated Republican, Dr. Lerah Lee—please excuse me, but I’m always amused by people with a PhD or EdD who insist on referring to themselves as “Dr.” as if they are a real physician, or somehow much smarter than you and me—is running for Congress in Georgia’s 7th Congressional district.
In her email, which somehow found its way into my In-Box, Mrs. Lee fervently, while also attacking Democrats in general and specifically AOC as racists, defends the Electoral College with the same old Republican talking points. The Republican party has always had a problem with things like LARA: Logic, Analysis, Reasoning, and Accuracy. This article explains exactly why their talking points attempting to prop up the archaic institution of the Electoral College are 100% wrong.
If you have received an email from Mrs. Lee, you will want to read the article. If you have a friend who has received one from her, or another Republican stalwart, please pass this along to them.
Facts are facts, and in this case the facts are also the truths. Please don’t be fooled, and don’t let a friend be fooled.
While we celebrate Labor Day. . .
One of the great incongruities, and condemnations, of Christianity is that black Americans and white Americans both prayed to the same God, from the Civil War, through the Jim Crow era, which has ‘ended’ only in our imaginations right up to present day America, where that conundrum continues.
And while black Americans prayed and strove—almost always peacefully—right up to today, for the simple freedom of equality, white Americans have responded, and respond today, with guns and fires and explosives and other forms of violence. This has always been supported by the conservative church through means ranging from cowardly silence to active participation.
So much for the image of a ‘just’ God, and Godly “Christians.”
Wonder no more about why modern Americans increasingly turn away from this religion awash in its own hatred, bigotry and hypocrisy.
Here ends the sermon.